Tybee Island is conveniently located just 20 minutes from Savannah and a wonderful spot for fun family vacations everyone will love. Spanning just 2.7 square miles, Tybee Island is packed full of attractions, options for outdoor adventure, long stretches of beach and entertainment for all ages. It is easy get to navigate (try renting bikes) and there are many great things to do that will keep you occupied day in and day out. Whether your family is looking for a bit of a history lesson or to explore the Island’s natural wet lands, ocean and wildlife, you won’t be disappointed.
A spot rich in history, Tybee Island is littered with forts, museums, lighthouses, galleries and interesting boutiques. An ideal spot for nature lovers, Tybee Island is home to many endangered birds and other animal species, as well as numerous options for kayaking, canoeing and other water sports. When planning a fun family vacation, Tybee Island is an excellent choice – everyone will surely be able to find something that interests them.
Family Activities to Try on Tybee Island
Perhaps the most laid-back location on the southeastern coast, Tybee Island is a must-see for children and adults alike. Boasting numerous shops and restaurants, picturesque beaches, opportunities for kayaking and to swim with dolphins, Tybee Island is a vacation spot the whole family will love. From renting bikes to taking an ecology tour and checking out the marine science center, a family vacation on Tybee Island will be one full of education and overall fun.
Be sure to check out some of these popular activities and spots while you’re visiting:
- Dolphin Tours – Book a tour with Captain Mike or Captain Derek and get up-close-and-personal with Tybee Island’s dolphins
- Bike Tours – Perhaps the best way to experience Tybee Island, renting a bike is easy, affordable, and something the whole family will enjoy
- Lighthouse and Museum – One of the most famous attractions on Tybee Island, the lighthouse and museum is a must-see for any visitor. The stunning lighthouse stands 154 feet and visitors can climb to the top for a picturesque view of the island. The associated museum offers a thorough history lesson and gives a little insight into why this island is so special
- Ft Pulaski – A must-see for any Civil War buff, the Fort Pulaski National Monument has guided fort tours, cannon-firing demonstrations and other interactive options everyone will love
- Ecology Trip – These trips are fun and educational for kids (and adults!) of all ages and usually run about 2 hours. Explore tide pools, experience low tide beachcombing firsthand and learn more about the animals that call this island home, all through the guidance of an expert
- Jet Skis and Kayaks – A perfect option for the family looking for adventure, jet ski and kayak rentals are a wonderful way to experience the island. Take a guided tour or go out on your own, whichever you prefer!
Tybee Island is a fantastic, welcoming spot on the Georgia coast that is sure to create fond memories for the entire family. With options for people of all ages and a beautiful landscape incomparable to anywhere else, make sure to book your next family trip to Tybee Island.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Luxury Living Tybee and a clickable link back to this page.